Thursday, August 30, 2012

Cante!

I'm writing this a few days later, so I'm not sure that I remember a whole lot about Thursday.  I led worship again and it went much smoother.  Less chaos for sure.  During the worship service, we do components of Lutheran liturgy, with prayers and songs, but we also teach the youth a new Lakota word each week.  It's strange to think of teaching the youth a word in what should be their own language.  Sadly, many adults don't know Lakota, since they were forced to speak only English by settlers and missionaries in the past.

This week's word was "cante," pronounced "chahn-tay."  Cs make a ch sound in Lakota and Ss make a sh sound.  With those two major clues, I can stumble through a decent amount of Lakota!  I chose cante to teach the youth because it coincided with last week's lectionary, the bit in Mark talking about defilement coming from the inside, not the outside.  What matters is what is on our hearts and how we live that out.

I was so excited then, after teaching the kids cante, to notice that the church next door is Sacred Heart and I was able to read cante out of the title!  Wahoo!  It's those little things that keeps a girl going.  :)

**Edited on 9/8/12.  My mom told me that I didn't actually tell you want cante means.  It means heart.  Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment