Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Ukikta

I don't have much to say about yesterday, Monday, since I spent most of the day in bed with a stomach bug that's going around.  It was rather unpleasant, but I'm feeling more human today.

I'm finding that my schedule here is rather flexible, doing what I need to do, when I need to do it.  I gather that when we have retreat groups, I'll be busier.  Today has been rather low-key, since I get the time to work on the children's worship that I'm leading tomorrow night and Thursday night.  I've only seen one of their worship services, but since I have peers who were asked to preside during the first week at their internship congregations, I think I can lead a worship service for young people.

The average day begins at 7am with devotions in the kitchen.  If there are retreat groups, then they join us for devotions.  If not, then it's my supervisor, a member of the community and me.  They also have a tradition of making oatmeal each morning, along with coffee.  Breakfast and coffee made for me?  Done.  The fact that I get to consume it while participating in a daily devotion with a community member?  Awesome.

After this morning's devotion, I went for a decent walk with Steve.  On the way, I noticed a sign that advertised the use of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act funds.  This funding was what supported my job as a Homeless Case Manager, prior to seminary.  Now, I read the sign showing the funds being used for the Lakota Ukikta, or the "awakening."  There's something beautiful about this idea of funds supporting an "awakening."  It's not that the people are damaged, but they're being awakened by the resources available, in the same way that I am awakened each day by what I experience in this place.  When I first stepped outside the PRRC this morning, I noticed that there was a man sleeping underneath our ramp walkway.  I was awakened yesterday when someone explained to me that because it's a dry reservation, some people drink hairspray to get high.

I am also learning to awaken myself to receiving more than just the "bad stuff" that I find myself writing about--smashed windshield, hairspray, gangs, etc.  I need to tell you that every person who has met me, has put out their hand and shaked mine.  I need to tell you that several people, after meeting and having a brief conversation, end their conversation with me by hugging me.  I need to tell you that the women who work at the PRRC absolutely LOVE Steve and have snuck him several slices of bologna, since "...he's just so cute!"  I need to tell you that people have asked about who I am and where I come from, wanting to hear about my life as much as they want to share theirs with me.

I pray that as this year goes on, I will continue to be awakened by the stories, both good and bad, as I learn to live more and more into my role as a child of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment