Friday, July 19, 2013

Where are you from?

Where are you from?

This question occurs quite frequently in my life.  Yet, each time I'm asked it, I have to check where I am geographically and emotionally, and provide the appropriate answer to this question.

This year, when people ask where I am from, I can answer the question in the following ways:

  1. Pennsylvania: It's where I was born and raised.
  2. Chicago: It's where I currently go to seminary, when I'm not on internship.
  3. Pine Ridge: It's where I'm doing internship.
And, frankly, on my snarkier days, I answer the question by saying: "My mother."

I find home on this quaint side street in Bethlehem, Palestine, where I spent a year volunteering at a school there.  I find home by the Upper Lake campfire circle at Lutherlyn thanks to the four summers I spent working at that camp.  I find home when I smell chlorine and remember my high school swim team days.  I find home when I smell incense and hyacinths, reminding me of the many Easter Vigil services at my home congregation.

Where are you from?

This question sometimes causes me distress as I sputter to give the person asking the question the answer they want, while also trying to trying to understand where my heart is that day.  On good days, I'm from everywhere: PA, Chicago, Pine Ridge, Palestine, North Carolina, Lutherlyn, water, flowers, smoke.  On my bad days, I'm from nowhere.  I have no roots.  I have no home.

Where are you going?

Sometimes, this can be an equally distressing question, because then I also need to ramble where I see my entire future played out.  I am passionate about cross-cultural dialogue, multi-cultural ministry, messy church, people who deserve to be loved (*cough everyone cough*).

A friend of mine posted this TED talk recently and it spoke to my soul, a tired, aching soul that leaves Pine Ridge one week from tomorrow.

http://www.ted.com/talks/pico_iyer_where_is_home.html

The speaker talks about home and his range of "homes" in his lifetime.  His final words are: "Home is not just a place where you sleep, but a place where you stand."

As a good ole' Lutheran, I can't help but to boldly proclaim "Here I stand!"  In an honest way though, here I stand.  Here is my home.  Right here.  And that here?  It may have lots of pine trees and curvy highways where I get to pump my gas at Sheetz, drink pop and visit Punxsutawney Phil.  It may have long, straight highways with prairies that you can "see your dog run away for three days" and I worry about my car getting stuck in gumbo.

Home is here.

Here is home.

No comments:

Post a Comment