Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Election 2012, part numpa

I thought posting about the election last night was good, since I was posting immediately following my thoughts.  Normally, I make a list in my notebook about my ideas for blog posts and then get to them several days after the event has occurred.  So, since I posted rather quickly about the election, it requires some follow-up thoughts.

South Dakota is normally a red state.  The counties that are contained within the Reservation were blue counties during this election.  The analysts (....I guess...?) project that if all the young people on the Reservation exercise their right to vote in the United States election in 2016, South Dakota could become a blue state.  Pretty cool, huh?

And, to be fair, if you're supportive of a red state, I'm saying that it's pretty cool for a state to be determined by a bunch of young voters, regardless of views.  

I get a daily email from StoryPeople, which to my knowledge, is a group of artists/collaborators that come up with these drawings and words to make you think.  I'm pretty sure that the main artist is a Luther College alum, but I could be wrong.  I don't get excited about every day's picture, but today's was meaningful, especially considering the impact that young people have on the future of the United States, the world and in our own relationships.


No comments:

Post a Comment